Creating a LinkedIn presence is a key tool in today’s job market. LinkedIn is the world’s largest professional network on the internet. A complete LinkedIn profile can help display your professional experiences, skills, and education and connect you with opportunities.
- Focus your message on your target audience.
- Develop a headline that speaks to your strongest skill or biggest accomplishment.
- Present yourself in a way that will grab someone’s attention.
- According to LinkedIn statistics having a profile photo gets individuals approximately 14 times more views.
- Know what the keywords are in your industry and include them in your Skills section.
- Only include skills in which you are proficient.
- Support your Skills area by adding details in your experience and/or volunteer sections.
- Keep your experience section current.
- Include descriptions that reflect key accomplishments in that position.
Don’t overlook the additional sections. Include relevant information that really supports your skills, ability and experience – your own personal brand.
- Make sure to list your degrees in the Education section.
- Volunteer – include any activities and organizations that you volunteer with on an ongoing basis. This shows you are invested in your community ad is also a way to highlight soft skills.
- Organizations – if you are a member of a professional organization, include that in your profile.
- Honors and Awards – It isn’t boasting. Make sure to add any honors and awards you have received.
- Join groups and follow other pages. It is a great way to network and engage with others.