The Associate of Arts in Social Sciences is primarily designed to provide a foundation of first and second-year coursework upon which a student may build a four-year degree in various majors within the social sciences. The affordable Social Sciences Associates Degree program in counties throughout Northwest Pennsylvania includes a broad array of introductory level courses in the social sciences, allowing students flexibility to sample courses related to multiple human service-related majors offered by baccalaureate institutions. The degree provides students with a competitive advantage for entry-level career opportunities with social and human service agencies immediately upon graduation while they pursue completion of a baccalaureate degree at a transfer institution. Required general education coursework prepares students for future careers by developing sought-after skills in communication, reasoning, respect for diversity, and professionalism communication. As much as possible, students should select courses which fulfill requirements within their planned four-year major field of study as identified by the college or university to which they plan to transfer.
An Affordable Social Sciences Associate Program in Pa.
General Education Goals
In alignment with the general education goals of the college, upon successful completion of the program, student will be able to:
- Accurately and appropriately use verbal and written language to explain, discuss, facilitate, and comprehend the exchange of relevant knowledge, which includes information technology, critical thinking, and information literacy.
- Employ a range of approaches for analysis, evaluation, and problem-solving that includes the ability to express informed opinions about artistic works, fluently and accurately use computational methods and mathematical reasoning to solve problems and analyze data, and apply scientific approaches to explain physical phenomena.
- Express an appreciation of multiculturalism, promotion of a culture of respect for others, and recognition of differing ideas or opinions.
- Exhibit adherence to principles of ethical behavior and organizational codes of conduct, the exercise of good judgement, and the assumption of personal responsibility for one’s actions and choices.
Social Sciences Program-Specific Goals
At the conclusion of this program, students will successfully be able to:
- Acquire, organize, analyze, and evaluate qualitative, quantitative, and/or primary source data related to issues within the social sciences through technological and traditional means.
- Use digital technology, productivity software, discipline-specific applications, and technology-mediated collaboration tools to complete tasks.
- Identify problems within the social sciences, explore and prioritize potential solutions and evaluate their veracity, and revise priorities as a means for purposeful action.
- Demonstrate an understanding of social heritage, societal norms, and common rights and responsibilities associated with citizenship.
- Develop foundational knowledge of a variety of theories, perspectives, and findings of the social sciences.
- Use methods and theories of the social sciences to analyze social issues in historical context as applied to the individual, societal groups, and/or globally.
What can you do with a Social Studies Associate Degree in PA?
An Associate of Arts Degree in Social Sciences prepares students to pursue a bachelor’s degree in disciplines such as social work, history, geography, political science, or psychology. This degree also prepares students for entry level positions in the social services field that include social work assistant, community outreach worker, juvenile justice assistant, or other human services roles.