The Associate of Arts in Social Sciences is primarily designed to provide a foundation of coursework upon which a student may build a four-year degree in various majors within the social sciences. The flexible curriculum allows students to explore courses related to multiple human service-related four-year degrees. Students earning the degree have a competitive advantage for entry-level career opportunities with social and human service agencies. Required general education coursework prepares students for future careers by developing sought-after skills in communication, reasoning, respect for diversity, and professionalism.
An Affordable Social Sciences Associate Program in Pa.
General Education Goals
In alignment with the general education goals of the college, upon successful completion of the program, student will be able to:
- Accurately and appropriately use verbal and written language to explain, discuss, facilitate, and comprehend the exchange of relevant knowledge, which includes information technology, critical thinking, and information literacy.
- Employ a range of approaches for analysis, evaluation, and problem-solving that includes the ability to express informed opinions about artistic works, fluently and accurately use computational methods and mathematical reasoning to solve problems and analyze data, and apply scientific approaches to explain physical phenomena.
- Express an appreciation of multiculturalism, promotion of a culture of respect for others, and recognition of differing ideas or opinions.
- Exhibit adherence to principles of ethical behavior and organizational codes of conduct, the exercise of good judgement, and the assumption of personal responsibility for one’s actions and choices.
Social Sciences Program-Specific Goals
At the conclusion of this program, students will successfully be able to:
- Develop foundational knowledge of a variety of theories, perspectives, and findings of the social sciences;
- Analyze and evaluate qualitative and quantitative information, including primary sources, within the social sciences;
- Use methods and theories of the social sciences to analyze current and historical issues; and
- Explore and analyze proposed solutions related to societal challenges and evaluate their ethics and potential impact.
What can you do with a Social Sciences Associate Degree in PA?
An Associate of Arts Degree in Social Sciences prepares students to pursue a bachelor’s degree in disciplines such as social work, history, geography, political science, or psychology. This degree also prepares students for entry level positions in the social services field that include social services assistant, community outreach worker, case management aide, or other human services roles.