The Associate of Arts in Social Sciences provides a foundation of coursework upon which a student may build a four-year degree in various majors within the social sciences. The flexible curriculum allows students to explore courses related to multiple human service-related four-year degrees. Students earning the degree have a competitive advantage for entry-level career opportunities with social and human service agencies. Required general education coursework prepares students for future careers by developing sought-after skills in communication, reasoning, respect for diversity, and professionalism.
Affordable Social Science Courses & Social Work Certificates in Pa.
General Education Goals
In alignment with the general education goals of the college and upon successful completion of the program, students should be able to:
- Communicate accurately and appropriately using verbal and written language to explain, discuss, and facilitate the exchange of relevant knowledge using information technology, critical thinking, and information literacy.
- Demonstrate reasoning through a range of approaches for analysis, evaluation, and problem-solving that includes fluent and accurate use of computational methods and mathematical approaches to solve problems and analyze data, application of scientific approaches to explain physical phenomena, and expression of informed opinions about artistic or philosophical works.
- Explore and analyze respect for diversity through exposure to differing ideas, opinions, experiences, and worldviews.
- Exhibit professionalism through adherence to principles of ethical behavior and organizational codes of conduct while assuming responsibility and accountability for one’s actions.
Social Science Program-Specific Goals
At the conclusion of this program, students will successfully be able to:
- Develop foundational knowledge of a variety of theories, perspectives, and findings of the social sciences;
- Analyze and evaluate qualitative and quantitative information, including primary sources, within the social sciences;
- Use methods and theories of the social sciences to analyze current and historical issues; and
- Explore and analyze proposed solutions related to societal challenges and evaluate their ethics and potential impact.
What can you do with a Social Work Certificate in PA?
An Associate of Arts Degree in Social Sciences prepares students to pursue a bachelor’s degree in disciplines such as social work, history, geography, political science, or psychology. This degree also prepares students for entry level positions in the social services field that include social services assistant, community outreach worker, case management aide, or other human services roles.